Saturday 5 January 2013

LDHSS

         Having a grade 10 culinary course in High School is fortunate, being able to take that course is extraordinary. At Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School in Ottawa, Ontario I take that course. Chef has taught me a lot, but one of the labs that I think I learned the most from was the stocks and soups. Having to de-bone an entire chicken, make thighs, wings, breasts, legs, etc and then using the bones to make a stock has shown me a lot. It showed me how to do this first of all but to also appreciate where my food comes from and how hard some of the work goes into making things for everyday life. However, the biggest thing would be how to be economic about my food. Although my family makes everything homemade and does not eat out regularly, we don't necessarily  buy everything in the most economic way. We buy chicken breast that can be up to 9$, well that seems silly and stupid to me now, because I can get two breasts  four wings, two legs/thighs, and more from an ENTIRE chicken that cost no more than 10$. Since my family makes a lot of soup, I can then use that same chicken's carcass and formulate a stock. Something which I know has no preservatives, something which isn't weeks, months or years old... it's fresh. I can then make as much soup as I want. Again, this was one of the most productive labs that I have done because it taught me so much about food, how to use it and be economical about it at the same time. Without classes such as culinary, kids will not learn things like this and this message of eating healthier, locally and more friendly so for that I am thankful and hope that other people will become more aware of what they buy, where they buy, what and how they eat what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment